The city of Stillwater has posted the 18-part video series about the storied South Hill on YouTube.
The Heritage Preservation Commission commissioned Dan Hoisington to create the self-guided walking tour of prominent South Hill homes and buildings.
The South Hill tour is made up of two loops — the Pine Street and Chestnut Hill loops — each completed in about an hour.
Here is the video tour of the Pine Street loop:
“Roscoe Hersey played an important role in the early development of Stillwater’s lumber and mercantile trade. In 1872 he moved to Stillwater and entered the firm of Hersey, Bean and Brown. Hersey built the house in 1879-1880 and lived here for seven years. “Hersey’s new residence,” declared the Stillwater Messenger, “looms up majestically, and bids fair to be one of the largest and finest residences in the city.” The home is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“Joseph and Anna Eichten built this home in 1890. With its turret, decorative shingles, and a carved sunburst panel on the second floor bay, it reflects the late Queen Anne style. The interior featured parquet floors and a ceramic fireplace as well as a copper bathtub. Eichten worked as a wholesale liquor dealer and a saloon owner, but in 1907, changed careers and became president of Connolly Shoe Co.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“Born in Belfast, Ireland, John Whiteside moved to Stillwater in the early 1870s, earning his living as a plasterer specializing in decorative ceilings. A local newspaper called him a “well-known and most excellent workman.” Around 1875 Whiteside built this brick home, using motifs from the Gothic cottage architecture made popular by Alexander Jackson Davis. These include the steeply-pitched gabled roof and the narrow windows. Elizabeth died in 1914, followed to the grave a year later by her husband.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“Captain Austin Jenks began his Stillwater career rafting logs to “any point on the Mississippi River between St. Paul and Memphis.” He constructed a steamer, the Brother Johnathan in 1871, only the second built for rafting logs on the Upper Mississippi. His river interests took him to Illinois, where he lived during the 1870s. In 1879 he returned to Minnesota and began work on this home, completed the following year. It reflects an eclectic mix of nineteenth century architectural styles. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“Built in 1879 by Edward Hersey, it was completed in the Queen Anne style with its tower, wide porch, and two-story bay. Soon after construction, Hersey sold the house to one of his business associates, Jacob Bean, and his wife, Cynthia. Jacob was one of the leading lumbermen in the country, with the St. Paul Daily Globe describing him as “considerably more than half a millionaire.” Following a stroke in 1901, Jacob and Cynthia made California their permanent home and turned the house over to their daughter, Ann Bean Lehmicke.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“Welshman David Grout came to the United States in 1861, seeking his fortune. A “practical bookkeeper” by trade, Grout wed Lucetta Gray on New Year’s Day 1867 and acquired this property two years later. The home is a fine local example of the Second Empire style, popular in the 1860s and 1870s in Minnesota. The most prominent features are its mansard roof and the bracketed eaves. Lucetta Grout died shortly after the house was built, after which David moved to Chicago.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“Drawing on the family lumbering fortunes, Edward L. Hersey built this home in 1883, designed by architect William H. Willcox. Following the end of his first marriage, Hersey wed Mary Haskell in 1894, and soon left Stillwater for St. Paul, and sold the property to George Atwood, also a lumber magnate and founder of the Twin City Forge and Foundry Company. The Atwoods erected a private gymnasium in the 1890s, said to have housed “every mechanical device known to athletics.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“This was the home of newspaper publisher Victor Seward and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1873 they purchased the Stillwater Messenger. The Sewards operated the paper for more than three decades In October 1892 a disgruntled former employee murdered Victor as he walked down a Stillwater street, leaving Elizabeth to run the Messenger for another decade – one of the few Minnesota women in that profession before WWI. This Queen Anne style house was built in 1886.” — Description by city of Stillwater
“In 1865 priest Alois Plut arrived in Stillwater to form a new parish serving German and Swiss Catholics. In 1871 brewery owner Joseph Wolf donated funds to acquire this property on Fifth Street, and a new school opened soon after. The church building was completed in 1884, designed by architect George Bergmann, and the parsonage, just north of the church, in 1888.” — Description by city of Stillwater
The $16,000 podcast was partially funded through by the National Parks Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, through the State Historic Preservation Office’s Certified Local Government Grant program, the Pioneer Press reports. The city of Stillwater paid $5,250 and donated $1,850 in time and materials.
Want more local stuff?
Stillwater Current is on a mission to spread local news.
If you like what you see, try our daily email.