Stillwater Firefighters Evacuate 4 Children, 3 Adults and Dog from Home Due to Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

 

Four children, three adults and a dog were evacuated from a Brick Street home early Friday morning after a faulty furnace was blowing large amounts of carbon monoxide into the home.

When Stillwater firefighters arrived at the home in the 200 block of Brick Street at 12:20 a.m. Friday, first responders evacuated four children—ages 2 to 13—from their bedrooms, as well as three adults and a sick dog.

According to police, the carbon monoxide detector in the home was broken.

When officers arrived to assist they found a woman lying on the couch “not appearing well,” one man who was vomiting in the bathroom and another man who was sleeping downstairs. According to police all three adults had been drinking.

First responders carried the children out of the home, and transported a large pit bull police say appeared to be “in poor condition with little response” to an Oakdale animal hospital.

After getting the residents out of the home, police say all people appeared to be feeling better. All residents were transported to Lakeview Hospital for blood work and further evaluation.

Xcel Energy reported carbon monoxide readings of more than 630 parts per million.

According to carbonmonoxidepoinsoning.com:

  • For healthy adults CO becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 35 ppm (parts per million) with continuous exposure over an eight hour period.
  • When the level of CO becomes higher than that a person will suffer from symptoms of exposure. Mild exposure over 2-3 hours (a CO level between 35 ppm and 200 ppm) will produce flu-like symptoms such as headaches, sore eyes and a runny nose.
  • Medium exposure (a CO level between 200 ppm to 800 ppm) will produce dizziness, drowsiness and vomiting in as little as 1 hour. This level of exposure is deemed to be life threatening once three hours has passed.
  • Extreme exposure (a CO level of 800 ppm and higher) will result in unconsciousness, brain damage and death in as little as a few minutes.
  • OSHA guidelines state that the maximum exposure over an eight hour time period is 35 ppm.

Want more local stuff?

Stillwater Current is on a mission to spread local news. 

If you like what you see, try our daily email.