Speeding Vehicle Fled Stillwater Police Before Fatal Crash in St. Croix County

A vehicle fleeing police at high speeds through Stillwater on Sunday afternoon was likely involved in a fatal crash just minutes later in rural St. Croix County, Wisconsin.

A 30-year-old Montana man was killed Sunday afternoon in the Town of Warren after he ran a stop sign on County Road E and was t-boned by a pickup truck on Highway 65.

According to the St. Croix County Sheriff’s Office, Jason T. Collins of Glendive, Montana ran a stop sign on County Road E at Highway 65 at about 3:28 p.m., when his 1998 Volkswagen Jetta was hit by a by a Ford F350 pickup traveling southbound on Highway 65.

The collision sent both vehicles rolling into a field, according to the crash report. Collins, the driver of the Jetta, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The people in the truck — a 34-year-old Hudson man and a 67-year-old River Falls man — were not injured, according to the crash report. Everyone involved in the crash was wearing a seatbelt.

Additional details about the crash have not yet been released by the St. Croix County Sheriff’s Office, as the crash remains under investigation.

However, just minutes before the fatal crash, Stillwater Police were involved in the pursuit of a red Volkswagen Jetta that sped through Stillwater on Sunday afternoon, before it ran a red light at Myrtle and Main streets downtown and crossed the Stillwater Lift Bridge.

According to a Stillwater police report:

At about 3:14 p.m., Stillwater police responded to a report of a Washington County deputy in pursuit of a red Volkswagen Jetta that had been running stop signs and red lights at a high rate of speed that was traveling eastbound on 75th Street approaching Manning Avenue.

While responding to the incident, police observed the vehicle passing vehicles on the shoulder of Myrtle, traveling at “extremely high speeds,” before running the stop sign at the intersection of Myrtle and Owens streets.

The vehicle sped down the Myrtle Street hill, the report states. Because of the high amount of traffic, a lot of pedestrian traffic and the number of bicyclists in the downtown area, police discontinued their pursuit at Third and Myrtle streets.

At that time, police deactivated sirens and lights, and followed at a distance.

Police watched the vehicle weave through traffic on Myrtle, run a red light on Main Street, head down Water Street to Chestnut and eventually cross the Lift Bridge at high speeds.

Stillwater Police eventually lost sight of the vehicle and forwarded information on to St. Croix County dispatchers.

Want more local stuff?

Stillwater Current is on a mission to spread local news. 

If you like what you see, try our daily email.