Update: Firefighters Extinguish Fire at Rafters on Main Street in Downtown Stillwater

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 3.19.55 PM

Stillwater firefighters responded to a fire at Rafters Bar and Grill in downtown Stillwater on Friday morning. (Photo courtesy of Stillwater Fire Department)

Stillwater firefighters responded to a fire at Rafters Bar and Grill in downtown Stillwater on Friday morning.

Firefighters knocked down the fire in a commercial building in the 300 block of Main Street, and crews were checking for extension and ventilating smoke from the building, according to a post on the Stillwater Fire Department’s Facebook page.

Upon arrival fire crews saw smoke from a rooftop HVAC unit, Stillwater Fire Chief Stu Glaser said. Upon further investigation, a working structure fire was reported with smoke and flames within the roof joists of the building.

Stillwater firefighters fought the fire from the inside of the second floor, Glaser said. Mutual aid fire crews responded and provided, search and rescue, water supply, ventilation and overhaul.

The fire was reported by a maintenance worker on site via 911. The cause of the fire appears to be a rooftop HVAC unit, Glaser said. The estimated damage to the building and contents is $100,000.

Rafters will remain closed until clean up and repairs are completed, Glaser said. The other businesses in the building were not damaged and were allowed to open and conduct normal business operations.

Stillwater firefighters received mutual aid from the Bayport, Mahtomedi and Lake Elmo fire departments.