We first got a taste of Béla Fleck playing with Brooklyn Rider two years ago with a couple of intimate shows at the Washington County Historical Courthouse during the Stillwater Music Festival.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with Brooklyn Rider, they have been putting on the Stillwater Music Festival since 2006 as a way to unveil new material and collaborations. The Stillwater Music Festival generally has shows at the Stillwater Public Library, a small show at the Daily Grind, the Washington County Courthouse in Stillwater and the Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis.
Here’s how the Subway Music in the Zoo show is described on suemclean.com:
“Grammy Award-winner Béla Fleck is a powerfully creative force in bluegrass, jazz, pop, rock and world beat. He virtually reinvented the image and the sound of the banjo through a remarkable performing and recording career that has taken him all over the musical map and on a range of solo projects and collaboration.
Hailed as “the future of chamber music” (Strings), the game-changing string quartet Brooklyn Rider offers eclectic repertoire in gripping performances that continue to attract legions of fans and draw rave reviews from classical, world, and rock critics alike. This performance with Brooklyn Rider is a match made in heaven. A 21st-century string quartet plays everything from Persian folk music to Debussy with grace, spirit, vigor and profound insight. Together they will play original compositions by both Bela Fleck and the Quartet and some classic bluegrass for good measure.”
A number of shows from the 2014 Subway Music in the Zoo Series were announced Monday. Others will be announced on April 14, and tickets going on sale April 26.
Here’s a list of the acts that have been announced so far:
- June 2: The Monkees ($70)
- June 3: Indigo Girls ($50)
- June 8: Steve Earle & the Dukes ($45)
- June 15: Okee Dokee Brothers ($20)
- June 17: moe. and the Chris Robinson Brotherhood ($35)
- June 19: Aaron Neville ($45)
- June 23: John Hiatt & the Combo and Robert Cray Band ($54)
- June 24: Rufus Wainwright ($39)
- June 27: Big Head Todd and The Monsters ($36)
- July 3: Béla Fleck and Brooklyn Rider ($42)
- July 5: The Hold Steady ($45)
- Aug. 3: Lyle Lovett and His Large Band ($68)
- Aug. 6: Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue ($43)
- Aug. 12: Ziggy Marley ($41)
- Aug. 13: Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo ($62)
- Aug. 23: Josh Turner ($66)
Want more local stuff?
Stillwater Current is on a mission to spread local news.
If you like what you see, try our daily email.